If you’re looking to jazz up your home office with some new gear, this is a post for you. We take a look at combining two highly recognised brands, Ergotron and Microsoft, to come up with a solution that is practical, has a range of motion, high in quality and durable.
Our picks for this:
Tandem Tablet Holder
If you have a home office setup, then you need something to hold your tablet when it’s on your desk. This is where the Tandem Tablet Holder comes into play – using this product, you can easily position your tablet on your desk. This is a nice little accessory kit that takes the VESA mount and positions your tablet next to the monitor at just the right angle.
This product includes:
- Easel crossbar
- Tablet easel
- Mounting hardware
- VESA interface plate
- Surface Dock box
The easel is great because it allows you to tilt the tablet up or down or from side-to-side. If you install this product below your monitor, you can tilt it up/down at a range of 60 degrees. If you install it on either side of your monitor, you have a side-to-die pan range of 60 degrees. The Tandem Tablet Holder can carry tablets up to 1.4kgs, just make sure you factor in the weight of the case, the tablet itself and the tablet holder along with the monitor weight in order to determine the compatibility of a monitor mount.
This holder is compatible with monitors that have a diagonal screen size of 20” to 27”. The monitor thickness should be between 5cm to 10cm and the maximum outside height of the monitor should be 30cm, while the maximum outside width should be 69cm when the hole pattern has been centered on the back of the display.
The Tandem Holder has so many benefits nesting behind it! Yes, it has been specifically designed for the Microsoft Surface. However, it’s a universal bracket that can also be used with popular tablet models from Samsung, HP and others – you can also use it with the large iPad Pro.
Some of the main features we love about the Tandem Holder include:
- Easy to Release – By simply pushing the tablet in with your thumb, you can release the tablet from the easel. This way, when you want to quickly take your tablet and go mobile, you won’t have to sit there and play around with it.
- Includes a Box – It includes a box that is responsible for holding the Surface Dock on the backside of your monitor. This is a great space-saving technique.
- Sturdy Construction – The sturdy metal construction is a major benefit. It does a good job at keeping the touch-screen stable.
- Tablet easel installation – You can install the tablet easel either on the side or at the bottom of your monitor.
At the time of writing, the only negative we could find would be that you can’t use it with screens larger than 27″.
LX Desk Monitor Arm
There are so many different desk monitor arms on the market, making it hard to pick the best one. However, after some research, we discovered the LX Desk Monitor Arm by Ergotron and must say, it did a good job at catching our attention. If you’re the type of person that likes to be on the move, while looking at your monitor, then this would be a great option.
The LX Desk Monitor Arm has a solid construction. Not only is the construction solid, but it is also attractive, so it’s not an eye sore in the home office. Another thing that attracted us to Ergotron was their excellent customer support – If you have any questions about the product, we found that the customer support does a great job at answering questions right away.
If I had to pick a negative, it would be the plastic under-arm cable clip. It is a bit on the flimsy side, but this is the only thing that is flimsy on the product.
Microsoft Surface Pro 2017
What better match up with the Ergotron mounts than Microsoft’s own Surface Pro? In our opinion, the Surface Pro (2017) is one of the best tablets around. Whilst the previous version was plagued with low battery life issues and heat problems, this generation seems to be humming along nicely.
The entry-level units are great and if you want to get a little more grunt for video and photo editing, higher spec’d options are also available:
- Processor: Intel Core m3, i5 or 87
- Screen: 12.3inches
- Ram: 4, 8 or 16GB
- OS: Windows 10 Pro
- Storage: 128, 256, 512GB or 1TB
- Camera: 5MP front-facing, 8MP rear-facing
- Dimensions: 292 x 201 x 8.5 mm
- Connectivity: Bluetooth 4.1, Wifi ac, USB 3.0. TPM, mini DisplayPort, headphones, and microSD
Some of the key features of the device that attracted us:
- Battery Life – Comparing this tablet with the battery life of other tablets on the market, we must say, this one has definitely improved.
- Build Quality – By looking at the pictures, you may not be able to tell it, but the build quality is excellent.
- Notebook Performance – You get a tablet format that offers notebook performance.
- Surface Pen – The Surface Pen is faster and more precise
- Stereo Speakers – At the edge of the screen, you’ll find stereo speakers embedded.
- Cam – There’s a 5-megapixel front-facing camera that knows how to get the job done.
- Screen – The screen itself is amazing. It offers excellent viewing angles and a neat enhanced colour option that does a great job at making the display pop.
- Optional dock – You can charge and connect a range of USB and DisplayPort peripherals with the dock.
The only missing feature for me was a USB Type-C port. Other than that, it had everything I needed
All in all, we believe the Tandem Tablet Holder is a great choice if you’re looking to save space and have your tablet in front of you in your home office. Yes, the price may be a little high, but that is okay because the quality really shines through. Being Ergotron, it also pairs up very nicely with their LX Desk Monitor Arm. This is one of the most stable monitor arms we can find on the market. The Ergotron LX is great for keeping the monitor still.
Similarly, the new Surface Pro from Microsoft seems to be ready to go mainstream as a laptop replacement. Yes, it may be lacking USB-C ports, but that’s a slope you can overcome. All in all, if you’re looking for a handy tablet with notebook performance, the Microsoft Surface Pro is a viable option.
We highly recommend the three products above if you’re trying to improve your home office. The Microsoft Pro would be a good side-laptop, or maybe even a replacement for your old laptop, while the Tandem Tablet Holder can hold the tablet next to your monitor and the LX Desk Monitor Arm will come in handy for those who like to move their monitors around.