D-link’s DAP-1860 AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Range Extender (yup that’s a mouthful) promises to help eliminate Wi-Fi dead zones in your house. As its name implies, this device is a Wi-Fi range extender that plugs directly into a powerpoint outlet. Its main function is to boost the Wi-Fi signal in any dead section of the house. Simple to install, the unit does not require wall mounting or any additional wires to connect. We’ve got our hands on one of these devices, time to see if it can boost our unreliable wireless network coverage.
What Are Its Important Features?
There are many attractive features of the AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Range Extender that consumers will like. Some of these include:
- Does not need any wires to be connected to other devices
- Dual band connectivity that results in reduced interference and enhanced flexibility
- MU-MIMO technology which enables it to handle network traffic with high bandwidth on several devices simultaneously
- Enables the whole house to have access to Wi-Fi if it is coupled with a modern router that has
- Whole Home Wi-Fi capacity
- The unit comes with adjustable antennas allowing it to provide maximum range
- This unit has several Signal Strength LEDs that will guide the user to optimize its positioning The device also comes with Secure Wireless Encryption that provides WPA2 or WPA security
Setting Up Is Very Easy
The AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Range Extender is very easy to set up. A smartphone and a few steps and you are up and running.
During the setup process you can select the unit’s default setting which will use the SSID name of the primary Wi-Fi SSID but only with the “-EXT” suffix. You can also enable Smart Connect. This will enable the AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Range Extender to use the whole 4x4 multiple stream capability of the unit to achieve the maximum speed of 2600 Mbps.
Reasons For Buying This Wi-Fi Extender
The AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Range Extender is able to support 4 x 4 MU-MIMO (multi-user, multiple inputs, multiple outputs) up to a maximum of 2600 Mbps, specifically 1733 Mbps on 5GHz and 800 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band. It is also able to work with many routers.
It is designed to plug directly into any convenience outlet just like any ordinary wall plug in the house. The size of unit is also just about the size of any home plug. This is convenient for homeowners since there is no need for installation such as drilling holes in the wall to mount the unit. Compared to other range extenders in the market, the AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Range Extender appears to be the most compact of them all.
This device has 4 antennas which can be folded to an X form if maximum coverage is desired. These antennas can be folded back into the body of the unit. With the antennas folded back, the unit requires only a small storage space.
We saw some great results with our wireless coverage using the D-Link DAP-1860:
Overall, the AC2600 MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Range Extender is a good for houses with Wi-Fi dead zones. It can deliver MU-MIMO and dual-band Wi-Fi to areas in the home that can’t be reached by ordinary routers. With its antennas unfolded, it is not pretty to look at, but its Wi-Fi delivery is as solid as you can get.